Pastor Seyi Osanyinbi
Just like every parent, there are things God desires to see in us as we grow up every day of our lives. God has revealed many of His expectation to us through the writings of the apostles and one of such was the instruction Paul gave Timothy concerning how to relate with others in the body of Christ. The words of God are not to be debated on because they are not suggestions but instructions. Here is a list of God’s expectation of us.
- Elders should learn how to judge: In the early church, there was a set of people referred to as elders who by the reason of age were expected to be able to handle critical matters and give accurate judgment over issues. God expects that every elder learns how to judge. So, it’s a problem to have a church with elders who cannot handle critical matters (Acts 15: 22 – 23).
- Elders should have a good report: God expects elders to become more fruitful and more accurate as they grow (Hebrews 11:2).
- Elders should be respected: The young people are also expected to learn how to relate respectfully with those who are older in the church irrespective of how anointed they think they are. They should not speak harshly to anyone who is older (even when they are wrong) rather they should entreat them ( 1 Timothy 5: 1, 17).
- God’s expectation about women: God expects us to treat and acknowledge the older women in our midst as mothers while the young women are to be handled with all purity of intentions (1 Timothy 5:2).
- Young men should be disciplined and prudent: No one would despise you if you are a serious-minded person (Titus 2:6; 1 Timothy 6: 11 – 14). As a young man, you should be careful about the things you love (1 Timothy 6: 10 – 11). You must learn how to fight the good fight of faith and overcome the wicked one (1 Timothy 6: 12, 1 John 2: 13-14).